Still Going and Growing

On September 5, I marked a day that I didn’t ever think would be important.

It was the ONE year anniversary of the first day of my last menstrual cycle.  I remember thinking I was glad it had come along the first week of the month, so that I’d be all done by the time Women’s Retreat happened the third weekend of the month.
When I went to the CNP a couple weeks back, she noted that one year without a bleed means menopause is official.
I’ll still have some symptoms surrounding it, but for the most part, I should be fine.

This week (and next), I have been working as a TA Sub in the junior high, where the girls are just beginning their journey into womanhood.

Friday was Picture Day, which I always struggled with babies at the daycare center, and learned it doesn’t get easier to keep the line going when the kids are as tall as I am.
We did have a photographer who was quick with the shutter, and his witty remarks for tweens.

During a slow minute, one girl came over and told me confidentially that she was ssooo glad it was Picture Day and she wouldn’t have to dress for PE because she was on her period.  As if she just had to tell somebody, and all the more popular girls were busy primping.

I smiled a bit and told her that my doctor says exercise is the best way to get through it.  I carried newspapers in high school, and really liked putting the full bag next to my tummy and climbing 6th Street hill to help relieve the cramps.

She looked very skeptical about such a solution.

She’s got more than 30 years of monthlys to learn all about it.

Meanwhile, all the walking around the school is moving my muscles in good ways.  I also do some of the stretch exercises with the kids at the beginning of PE class, and when the weather is nice, I have to walk over to the back field and help monitor while they are running the track.

What a difference from my activities of the summer.

I was able to donate blood for the Red Cross today.  The mobile was set up out at the shopping center, and there were announcements on the radio.  The wait was about an hour, since there are only 4 beds in the mobile.  I got a really nice all cotton t-shirt with a neato Blood Donor logo.

I’m getting back into the mindset of working all week.  I had to do 5 loads of laundry, and will do the ironing tomorrow afternoon.

Also on the To Do List is clean the shower, but since I donated blood almost by impulse, I decided to take a nap on the couch with Mahalia this afternoon.

Which leaves the shower for later.  I don’t think the town government will send the health inspectors just yet, but it is getting to the questionable stage as to whether my feet feel clean enough when I turn off the water.

Looks like Sunday will not be a day of rest.

~~love and Huggs, Diane

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Still Going and Growing