Same Action, Two Meanings

When I was a kid, there was a show on tv with the name Dark Shadows.  A couple of my friends rearranged their hours to be able to watch it every afternoon, but my mother absolutely forbid viewing at our house because
“it had vampires”.

Not that I think she ever watched it herself to decide,
she often just passed along information from someone at church or beauty shop.

I didn’t care much, I usually prefer what I’m reading and watching to have very human characters.

These days, I am working in junior high schools where at least one copy of the book TWILIGHT is on a desk and eagerly opened up during free reading time.
And one girl got in trouble with the teacher because she was trying to tell me all about the movie, even though I had tried to shush her myself, was not encouraging at all.

It seems the vampire theme has come ‘round again.

I have not read any of the TWILIGHT book series, and do not plan to see the movie.  A couple of my favorite bloggers Kristine at Random and Odd, and Susie at What was I Thinking, who have teenage daughters, have written very good posts about TWILIGHT, and I trust their input about as much as I can muster up the interest; paycheck job of interacting with adolescents or no.

On Easter morning, I was sitting at the back of church while communion was being passed.  Although I was baptized when I was young, and the minister spoke a wealth of background and blessing for the symbolism, I decided not to participate because a memory had surfaced, one of the times my mother said terrible things about vampires and blood, and works of the devil.

Vampires of lore drink blood, which is a terrible thing, I guess.  I’m told the vampire in TWILIGHT drinks only the blood of animals, which is why many parents allow the kids to read it.  Yesterday, I put a wonderful beef roast and potatoes in the crockpot and we had a feast for supper.

During communion, there was a song about drinking the blood of Jesus.  I can’t find the lyrics on the ‘Net, but communion is all about how Jesus’ body was broken for you, His blood shed to wash away sins.

Sometime back in those days of Barnabas Collins and arguments with my mom and having church activities shoved at me, I remember thinking that vampires drinking blood and Jesus cleansing blood must be some really great storytelling.  And why did my mother not see that the same action meant different things to other folks?

Anyway, I did not take communion on Easter morning, a high holy day for Christian believers.

My mother lives two states away, yet is able to still cause me to have inner conflicts.

This entry was posted in Thinking. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Same Action, Two Meanings

1. Mary says:

My mother has been dead for two years and she still causes me inner conflicts.

Each of us has a memory of something or things that our mother or father said that trouble us even though they may have passed. It is natural to wonder about this but to dwell on it is a burden you should not still carry. Times have changed and our lives now are different from theirs then. Try to grasp the good thoughts if you are lucky enough to have living parents. If they have passed, like mine, remember their love, comfort, and the positive thoughts they left with you.

3. dkzody says:

I remember Dark Shadows. It was on at 4 o’clock on Channel 47 which meant I could make it home to watch that soap opera while the others all came on earlier in the day. I think the program schedulers knew what they were doing because high school girls love that kind of thing. It’s like having a crush on the bad boy.

Although I have not read the Twilight books but I did get to see the movie yesterday on a bus trip to Sacramento with my senior students. The girls have all been reading the books like crazy so I was curious to see what it was all about.

The movie is very dark, and I don’t mean just the storyline. The lighting is non existent. I truly understand, after watching the movie, why teen age girls love it so much. It’s sort of a Romeo/Juliet type thing. The kids fall in love with someone they shouldn’t. Society does not approve. There is that bad boy thing going on. ” And he loves me and rescues me and it’s just wonderful.” Yuck, but I’m not 16.

It’s really not a bad movie, but I wouldn’t waste money seeing it. My daughter, a youth pastor, read a couple of the books because she knew her students were reading them. Just like the Harry Potter books, she wants to know what her kids are doing so she reads a lot. She passed the books along to me to add to our book shelves at school. She believes as I do, it’s fantasy, and as long as young people keep that in mind, it’s not such a bad thing.

Just as we don’t want to take Cinderella too seriously, neither should we take the Twilight series too seriously.

4. dkzody says:

I’m copying my comment to use on my own blog to develop this story. Thanks for the idea.

Go for it.
    I don’t find it easy to keep secrets on the ‘Net 🙂

I’ve heard many good comments on the twilight series..but have not seen it yet. I will probably check it out, just to see what the hub bub is all about.