Blankie Gone Today

A former co-worker and I have kept in touch these last few years.  We both still have jobs in education, albeit very different than the place where we met.

A couple years ago, I was Thrilled when she sent the link to her wedding photos (a beautiful bride, of course), and then a few months back, I became Ecstatic when she sent the sonogram picture of her baby G.I.R.L. which I am told the doctor says could be born any time soon.

This afternoon, I mailed off the crocheted blankie.

body is double crochet stitch with 2.75mm steel hook and Aunt Lydia’s bedspread cotton color Oasis
stripes and border color Linen

Although the color pink is usually for a girl, I had already crocheted many rows before that sonogram came by e-mail, plus everybody who has seen this aphgan in real life says it should be fine.

It was kinda neat how I did the mailing.  I had packed the box yesterday afternoon, put it into the car this morning, with the plan to mail it after the TA Sub job today.

I was in a small town, the school on the farthest west edge of the district.

As I was standing by the door during Bus Lane duty, I mentioned to a co-worker that I had to mail a package on the way home, and dreaded the construction all around the Normal Post Office, so I hoped the line would not be too long, since I had to get home to see OPRAH.  Ya see, my blog buddy Karen from Chookooloonks (in my sidebar) was on the show today.

A boy about 4th Grade age was nearby and spoke up that the post office is just down the street next door to the library, and it is real easy to get to.

The other adult was just about to say something about him listening to us, she did not look happy at all, but I ignored the expression on her face, turned to him, and asked more about the local post office location.

He was all happy that I was listening, and then asked about who it is would be on Oprah.
When I told him that the talk would be about mothers, he lost interest pretty quick, being a young boy and all.
But I thanked him for the directions.

The post office was right there on the main street.
The clerk was working a suduku (sp?) puzzle, so definitely not a crowd of people.
I was in and out in less than five minutes, then was able to drive right on home, getting inside with a few minutes left to check the mails and put the kettle on for some hot chocolate.

Well, anyway, I’ve been working away with yarn in my hands, not typing too much.

Will send more news when I have something else to say.

ps the red and gray stripe, all cotton sweater I am wearing
was purchased at the thrift store for 66¢ = cheap comfort

This entry was posted in Crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Blankie Gone Today

It’s beautiful Diane…I’m sure she will be tickled *pink* to get it from you 🙂

Thank You, Caroline! the blankie is so soft, being cotton, and the stitch is small and close, so it is warm

Sometimes children can be a real help–we just have to listen. The blanket is lovely. I’m sure that the fact it is soft and warm will out shine the fact that it isn’t pink. Your sweater was a good buy all right. Take care!

Very nice work! (but, of course, we already knew that!). Looks like it must be warm enough for you to be outside for the photo; that’s good!
    Stay warm, enjoy your ‘down time’ (if you get any).
    Glad to hear you found a closer Post Office-that must have made the trip MUCH nicer for you.
    Hugs;
    Pammie

5. Beth says:

Diane
    Thank you so much for the beautiful blankie and hat…although my mom has been sewing up a storm she does not knit.
    That is one of the things I miss the most when it comes to having lost both of my grandmas. I used to go with my grandma Irvin to stitch and chat and watch all of those talented ladies make things for their families and community.

It is good that there are people like you and your sewing/knitting group that make things for good local causes. Thank you again for you homemade gift of love…i can not get over how soft that blankie is either 🙂
    Beth , Joe and soon to be born Gwen

6. the proud mama says:

Hey All,
    I just wanted to let everyone know…and some of you might already…that at 1:15 pm on Sunday April 26th Gwen Elizabeth Ann was born. She weighed 9 pounds and 3 oz. and was 20 inches long…she made her arrival in about four hours and with only 40 minutes of pushing.
    We did have to stay in the hospital a day longer to have her under the billi lights…which was traumatizing for both of us…but we worked through it … We have made several trips to the doctor..one for a regular two week check up … but the others were for blood testing and for weight checks…and ONE was for her smelly gross oozing bellybutton….that cleared up on it’s own thank god b/ c the treatment for an infected button is seven to ten days on iv antibiotics in the hospital…which i was not excited about. She is a good baby…she doesn’t fuss too much and is not picky about what she eats as long as she eats….which is good b/c the dr. wants her to gain weight…we are having issues with that…but all seems to be on track now.
    Joe is a very very proud pappa and is very helpful in the nights and evenings when he is home. Unless i am home with out him i dont change a diaper …. which is fine with me :)! Sorry that this is coming out so late but having a newborn makes life kinda hecktick and this is the first chance i have had to sit down and get any email done…my inbox was very full!

Beth