Donated Granny Squares Crib-size Blankie

The Normal Activity Center Needlework Group accepts donations of yarn and supplies to keep our projects going.
There is a nice shelf area in the storeroom dedicated to types and colors and weights of various yarns, plus a couple drawers with supplies, and a file cabinet with patterns.
Believe me, it is a crafter’s dream to be a part of this!

Somebody (and she knows who she is) donated 28 boxes (yes, that is twenty and eight covered boxes) of completed granny squares to the group.
I believe the original idea was to have folks send her squares, then all she would have to do is sew them together for some charity event.
Then health troubles got her behinder and guiltier, so give them to us she did.

We already do so many projects for donations, this can become another branch.

Last Thursday, I grabbed a big skein of yarn from the box marked WHITES, and brought home a pile of pastel squares which looked like they could become a crib-size baby aphgan.

When Husband got home from work, he found me sitting on the floor getting dizzy from too much color combination tugging at slightly odd sizes trying different arrangements.

It turns out the yarn for the sewing and the border had the name of Soft White, but this thing was already so far along, I just wanted to get it done.

Click on pictures for another view.

It’s a bit crazy to look at, but I know first hand that it is a warm cover.
I was watching the Olympics and had the blankie on my lap to work the edging.
Even with the air conditioner turned down low, I fanned my legs as I turned each corner.

One more chapter in my How I Spent My Summer journal.

This entry was posted in Crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Donated Granny Squares Crib-size Blankie

1. George says:

I like the juxtaposition of soft-white with the bright-white squares. It sets off the irregular character of the squares from the process of uniting them, in effect telling the story.

2. Sue B says:

With the touch of the Master Crochet-er’s hand, the squares turned into a gorgeous blankie!!
    What nice work. . . .

An envious admirer,
    Sue

3. Pammie says:

My, My! Looks like we have a ‘grammiediane’ in the works! (you like like me when I’m assembling squares!) I usually assemble 4-5 at a time, then place each ‘set’ in a plastic bag; by the time I reach #5 I’m usually dizzy, tired and more than ready to quit that part of the project! It’s quite a task just getting the right squares to lay nicely beside their siblings AND look good in the process-you did good, lady!
    Hugs;
    Pammie

I second Pammie comment. The blankie is gorgeous and truly a work of colors that any mommy would want to cover her infant. You do good work Ma’am!!!

5. Brenda says:

I love your blanket. As you know, I do a lot of granny squares because they are small enough to do in the car. With 28 boxes of them you should have a wealth of blankets.

6. Judy F says:

Whoa, you gave me credit for way too many boxes of squares — there were 16 boxes… and I’ve been working on my charity giving & didn’t have room for them in my apt….that’s why I had the storage unit…& then got tired of paying $45. month.
    Health didn’t have anything to do with it.
    Just glad to have a place to put them!

Thanks for the picture…they look great! That’s what I usually aim for … a crazy-quilt design whether it be baby size or twin-bed size.
    I made twin-sized for Home Sweet Home Mission’s dorm beds.
    Wish I could photograph all the things I make…it would encourage my contributors.