Innovation is a thing of the future

Being a fan of several mystery type shows on television, I just have to tell you about an advert circulating off of YouTube.

The machine is apparently used in real-life laboratories, so the company spent its money on a fine plot for the commercial, now many of us are noticing it on the ‘Net.

The word came to me from Husband,
but I’ll link you to Greg Laden’s blog
where he has it embedded.

Also, as an update from yesterday’s post about mammies…
over breakfast, Husband and I were discussing various ways of gaining knowledge of what’s in there without so much painful flattening of a gland that has all those ducts and vessels inside.

Gravity should help.  Have the woman rest her belly on a flat surface with her lovelies hanging straight down, almost like a cow’s udder.  Then have a cone-shaped device come upwards to support and take pictures.  If a CAT scan is able to give a nice view of internal organs, then something like it should be able to have a peek.

It would seem to be a better idea than what we have now.

Anybody out there wants to follow-up this suggestion, have at it.

And please, go watch the PCR concert at Laden’s place.

This entry was posted in Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Innovation is a thing of the future

1. Sharkey says:

There already is a boob-dangling test, but I don’t know what it’s called as I no longer have anything to dangle. 🙂

But it must be more expensive than mammograms–I think they only use it when they suspect that there’s a problem.

Hope you’re having a good weekend!

2. webs05 says:

I just wiki’d the topic and now fully understand your complaint of discomfort. But one of the problems with switching the design is that the current system gets rid of a problem called motion blur. So a new system will still have to solve that problem.

I suspect though, it wouldn’t be too complicated to create a different system, just some R&D;dollars up front.

3. george.w says:

I just want everyone to understand that the “cow’s udder” imagery was MrsDoF’s, not mine.

I should think that some kind of angular CAT scan would be fast enough to snap the picture without movement being a problem. It would provide better 3D information, too. So what if it were expensive – if you scan 100 women a day at $50 a scan, that’s $1.25m/yr assuming 250 working days. Should be able to keep up the payments with that.

I guess we are just stuck with slinging one up on the platform and taking the pressure then presenting the other one. But at least you know you are not alone in this.

5. Sharkey says:

You’d think CT scans would only be fifty bucks a pop, but I think my insurance company gets billed about $1200 every time I have one (not that they pay that amount, but they pay a good share of it).

6. george.w says:

Yeah, I think the medical racket has the wrong model with those things. Cut the price, go for volume!