One Setting in the Life Cycle

So I’m working as a TA Sub academic coach at a Junior High.

And I really think that everybody over the age of 30 should have a couple days watching from a corner in a 7th grade classroom.  These youths have so many skills (typing, calculator, PE locker combinations) so much brain power, so much FUTURE!
Granted we are only a couple weeks into the semester, but the routine is taking shape.

First Hour is Science.  The teacher had the students put their heads down so they couldn’t see what their neighbors were doing.  He asked who wanted to go on a Nature Walk.  Maybe 7 kids raised their hands.

I must say that I voted for the Nature Walk, cuz I figured learning outside of the classroom is almost always my preference.

Then he asked who wanted to watch the Snake Feeding.
Every hand in the room shot up.  He said they could only vote one time, so those who had voted first lowered their hands, which still left a 2/3 majority.

The ball python was laid inside a clear container, which was then put in full view on a table and stack of books in the center of the room.
The teacher went over to the mouse cage, caught a mouse by the tail, carried it (screeching and squirming) to the snake’s box, opened the top a tiny bit, dropped the mouse in and slammed shut the lid.

The students were supposed to be doing scientific observations and taking copious notes.

Yeah, Rrriightt…..

I don’t think I should go into small details about a snake’s dining habits.  Just remembering some of the scenes in my mind’s eye cause a churning in my tummy.  That poor little mouse should have been adopted by Walt Disney so it could live on for years and years.

For 7th graders, tho, this was the coolest sight ever.  Conversations in the hallway about who had seen what in which class Hour all day long.  There are two snakes, and each got fed 3 mice through the day’s schedule.  If the teacher could somehow do the test using Verbal Input, everybody would earn high marks.

It all happens again in 12 days.

I’ll be on a walk.

This entry was posted in School. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to One Setting in the Life Cycle

I’d be walking with you Diane. Just reading your post made my tummy squirm a little!

2. webs05 says:

I can’t believe they never let me see a live feeding when I was in school! I feel sooooo cheated! I would have given anything to witness that, rather than dissect a worm or a frog. However, I suspect those students will still have to dissect something…

3. Junie says:

Oh, my!

I would hate seeing that!

…But I know snakes gotta eat too… ;(

Junie

4. Tee says:

Yuck… Can’t they feed the snakes some like dry snake chow or something? Something a little less… alive? :p

One of my duties in the afternoon is when I help tutor students during group Study Hall, which happens in the Science Lab.
    I went over to look in on the snakes, all cozy in their large aquariums.
    They both have names, I don’t know which is which, but one snake was kind of a V shape along 2 sides of the box. There were 3 bumps along its length, with about 3 inches between the bumps–almost like beads on a belt.
    Somewhat lethargic, as if saying “I can’t believe I ate the whooolle thing”

The other was snoozing in its covered area, as if privacy was top priority.

The students are still quite interested.

I hope that the school year will keep you busy. And give you plenty to talk about on your blog. Good Luck Diane!

7. Dawn says:

Ewww. I don’t mind snakes, or mice- in their proper environment- but would rather take the nature walk than watch the snake dine on the mouse.

Your post reminded me of the science project that my two boys were involved in when in Middle School. They had a number of rats (in my garage) and they were doing genetic studies on the color of rats offsprings when the parents were mated to different colored rats. . . or something like that. Our Doberman brought the whole thing to a screeching halt when she found a way into the cage area and executed a large number of rats.

I felt terrible about it and my sons were devastated, but the dog was only doing what comes naturally. At least the boys had gathered enough information to be successful at the Science Fair.