Recipe for Zucchini Nut Bread

There has come a request for the recipe for my zucchini nut bread.  The original is a page torn from Working Mother magazine, November 1981.  I have tweaked it over the years, and so will write it up the way I make and bake it.

ZUCCHINI NUT BREAD
Preheat oven to 325oF
Using a small amount of margarine, grease 2 loaf pans
either 9 x 5 like the original says
or 8 x 4 like I prefer to use

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Set Aside

In a large mixing bowl, stir together:
3 large eggs, already beaten together
1 cup oil (I use sunflower)
3 tablespoons Vanilla extract
2 cups white sugar

Set Aside

measure out 1 cup walnut pieces and chop them
2 cups grated Zucchini

Add flour mixture, grated zucchini, and chopped nuts to the liquid ingredients and stir together well.

Pour and divide into two prepared loaf pans.

Bake at 325o for 60 to 70 minutes.  The loaves are done when a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool pans on a wire rack for about an hour, then remove bread from pans and allow the loaves to finish cooling on the rack.

We like this bread as is, or with butter, or cream cheese.

Sometimes, I grate and measure two and a half cups of zucchini, then put it into bags for the freezer.  It’s all ready to put into the recipe next time I have occasion to bake.  The extra half cup is because of how the vegetable seems to shrink and get watery from time in the freezer.  I drain it in a colander when I have frozen zucchini.

This entry was posted in Food, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Recipe for Zucchini Nut Bread

I just got it copied it down and my mouth is watering all over the key board. I’ll be baking soon!!!! I think I’ll add some maraschino cherries to it also. Thank you Diane!

Well, I’ve never heard of, or tried, marachino cherries with zucchini, so let me know how it goes.

I have tried raisins and/or chopped dates, but usually we like this one just the way it is here.

I got to looking for my zucchini cake recipe, which also is quite tasty.
    Mostly, I’m excited to be having my original booklet with the Date Nut Bar cookies recipe.
    There’s an event coming up in a couple weekends, so I’ll be doing some nice baking for then.

Looks YUMMY! I’ll print it off.
    Got Zucchini on hand right now.
    Love, Evelyn

4. Pammie says:

Boy, does that bring back memories! I used to do that very same thing: freeze bags of grated zucchini for ‘bread-later’. The only problem with that was, those bags would live in my freezer for great amounts of time, then eventually be tossed out. I finally stopped doing that. We haven’t had zucchini bread in many, many years now which inspires me to go out and buy some and make it. Thanks for the idea! (Too bad I don’t know anyone with “too much” zucchini!)

5. I don’t think I’ve ever had zucchini bread. I’ll have to try this.

Well, Kranki, you should have known my grandma!! she was the queen of all things zucchini–oh my, the yumminess from her kitchen!
    although I must say that I make great ratatouille, and this recipe is from a magazine I got long after my wedding.

Happy Baking! Everybuddy….