Low-key Eats for Just Us

I’m making a list and checking it against what I have in the pantry.
The menu for our T-day is
a fresh, never frozen, free-range turkey, raised on an Amish farm
gravy
StoveTop stuffing from a mix
washed, peeled, cooked, mashed with sour cream potatoes, definitely gravy
boiled and buttered sweet potatoes
green bean casserole, which I only make twice a year
pumpkin dessert squares, using canned pumpkin
whipped cream from a pressure can
cranberry sauce from a can

when I think of how many dishes were set out on the table at my Aunt Sylvia’s house, and how many people were going to eat there, and how many cousins there were to help do the dishes

then I remember all the hollering and doors slamming

Relatives, hmmm.

Only the four of us here at mealtime.
Plenty of phone calls happen on the holidays.
Celebrating from a distance.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Low-key Eats for Just Us

1. Tee says:

Happy Thanksgiving! Your menu is making it hard for me to wait! We’re going to my Mom’s tomorrow. 🙂

We had one of those Amish Free Range Birds
    today at our house (We had our Thanksgiving Dinner early as we are invited to a wedding tomorrow)
    And it was one of the most delicious turkeys we have ever had. Our guests raved!
    I think we will do this again next year. ENJOY –

Enjoy having the boys there, your dinner, and the rest of the day wondering why you ate so much I know I will. Hope the eye is a little better today!

4. Uzz says:

I just wanted to drop a note to wish you a most wonderful Thanksgiving! I have a lot to be thankful for and I think this is a great time to reflect upon those things! Eat lots and let the tryptophan take you away!

5. Mrs SEB says:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

7. Tempe Berestoff says:

Happy Thanksgiving. So nice to have everyone home for the holidays. Natasha came in on Tuesday.Goes back on Sun. We ate at Fred’s. He did most of the cooking. I made cranberry sauce from whole berries.Natasha made sushi from some tuna she brought with her from Anchorage. Marilen made lumpia which is hamburger and veggies cut small wrapped in egg roll wrappers and deep fried.These along with turkey stuffing and gravy were oh so much. Seamus got some king crab from the cannery to use in the sushi. We have enough food for several days. I too remember Sylvia’s house. THat girl did like to cook. Glad to see your boys came for the holiday.
    Best wishes.