Jeweltones Afghan

Here’s the most recent crochet project.
The yarn was given to me by a friend of the friend who had the 50th wedding anniversary awhile back.  I carried a huge bag away from the party to the car.
Folks with generous hearts, who have recently cleaned out hobby closets, often find themselves standing in front of me. 🙂

When I sorted, I found quite a bit of the Red Heart Jeweltones, which is a 4-ply of 65% acrylic / 35% nylon.

This pattern is the American Granny Square with a size K crochet hook.  The squares are crocheted together with single crochet stitch.  The border is a row of single crochet sapphire, then a row of single crochet brights, and lastly a row of double crochet sapphire.

Its destination is undecided so far.  The place I originally intended has chosen to not have a craft fair this Fall.
But don’t worry, plenty of other groups want my yarn outcomes.

I’m going to let this one rest awhile.  I haven’t had good feelings with it.  The nylon part of the yarn made my fingers itch,  so I found myself almost dreading to take it up and work another square.  Weaving in the ends seemed tedious.
Often in the past, when I have dark thoughts during the work, the project goes on to some weird end, such as not getting bought even at half price.  Or saddest of all, being wrapped around a baby who was stillborn and buried.
I didn’t make a pastels blanket for 16 months after hearing that.

Here I am, glum and morose, when that bright picture is up there howling for admiration.  I’ll tell ya, folks who have seen it in real life think it’s the nicest blanket.  The colors match well, and the nylon makes it soft and warm.

Moving right along….I’ve got some bookmarks to do, and another afghan already started.  Time to go back to what I prefer to work with, bedspread cotton thread.

Update: Tuesday, 17 October 2006 This afghan was sent to the Indian Run Christian Church in Canton, Ohio.  There’s a Craft Fair happening to benefit the Building Fund.  The minister of the congregation is an old friend from DOF’s alma mater, and served as the Best Man for our wedding.

This entry was posted in Crochet. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Jeweltones Afghan

1. Mrs SEB says:

It does look magnificant! The scartchiness of the yarn might be con to the pro of the beauty. However, I’m sure someone out there would love to have it, no matter what. I still have the book marks you sent me and use them gingerly. I love them. They seem so delicate, but are much sturdier than any paper bookmark. They brighten my day just to look at them. I am amazed by your talent and creativity.

In reference to your pastel blanket –you have to look at it from the point of view that the parents loved it and their baby enough to keep them together forever. This is an honor to you and the work you do. Letting the afghan rest will make you feel better about it. The right person with a need will cross your mind and you will be ready instantly! It is a rich looking work that any one would love to have.

3. Melessa says:

That is GORGEOUS! (And I’m not usually one to comment on crochet projects.)

Thank you for your kind words. The good vibes are beginning already.

The afghan is in the dryer. I almost always wash what I make: first to make sure the knots hold, and second, to take away many of the cat hairs clinging to it.

Momma Mary, that is a nice way to say so–they are together forever.
    Our former cat, Leica, is wrapped in a lilac colored afghan and buried in the back yard. She dragged it to her bed twice while I was working on it, and slept with it whenever possible, so I had to let her keep it.

5. Uzz says:

I tell you what…I am amazed at what people like you can do. While I can visualize a concept and turn it into a picture, I could NEVER begin to figure out how you can create things like beautiful out of fabrics! That looks comfy! I need to go out and find a green-and-gold afghan for this fall…you know I love those Baylor Bears!

Thanks for coming by for SPF and may you have a wonderful weekend!

6. Janet says:

Oh, I LOVE this! I have one my Nana made years and years ago, it’s just so gorgeous 🙂

7. Tee says:

Diane! That is one of the most beautiful blankets I’ve ever seen! Seriously. At least your hard work paid off. Absolutly gorgeous.

8. patti says:

It’s beautiful. It reminds me of the afghan my ex took when he moved out. Man, I miss the afgahn. If I saw that at a sale, I’d buy it.

9. shionge_ says:

Hiya Diane…Hmmm…I am having problem posting comments. Here goes again…

Beautiful piece of work….I’m never good at stuff like that.

10. Junie says:

That’s a very beautiful afghan!
    The colors are great for the winter season!
    I have several I have made over the years. Granny squares is all I ever learned , but it’s my favorite pattern anyway!

Junie

The results of your effort is BEAUTIFUL!