The Birds and the Cat

The other evening when I was trimming tree branches, I was given a severe talking to by a mama cardinal guarding her nest.
I might not have even noticed it in the bush behind the garage, but she made sure I kept my distance.
The daddy cardinal is keeping watch either on the clothesline or the handle of the lawnmower.

Beautiful creatures who have managed to avoid anybody’s camera lens for days.

I found this picture when I did a Google Image search.

Our cat Oscar also has noticed.  He, who has never ever been interested in any one particular corner of the patio, has decided the warm concrete closest to the bush can be a great place for a snooze in the sunshine.

And all I can hear the whole time I am trying to read the Sunday paper (this is Tuesday) is that daddy cardinal’s little chirps and yips of warning and distraction.

I finally went out and picked up a protesting Oscar and carried him into the house.

The birds outside got quiet, but the cat’s chirps and yips just inside the kitchen door are about to drive me crazy!

The cardinal is the mascot bird of several states, including Illinois.
They mate for life.

A couple years ago, Oscar proudly dropped a male cardinal at my feet.  Its neck had been broken, and its feathers showed some wetness and roughing up.
The lady cardinal sat out on the fence post crying all evening.

Believe me, I don’t want a repeat scenario.

I just gotta be ever so watchful until the birdies get those younguns some better living conditions!
Update: 16 June Thursday evening
DoF managed to get pictures with the telephoto lens and has written a post.

This entry was posted in Thinking. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Birds and the Cat

1. Melessa says:

The place where DH and I honeymooned was also a popular nesting place for red cardinals. I never managed a good picture either. They are good at avoiding that camera lens. I am very fond of them too and I don’t envy you your ‘cat patrol.’ So far, our move to the country has yet to turn our pampered kitties into ‘mighty hunters,’ but I’m dreading the day that changes.

2. Torie says:

I’ve always loved cardinals. I think it is because that was my high school’s mascot. Everytime I see one it always makes me smile.

3. Tee says:

So heartbreaking when kitty cats do what instinct tells them to do!

Does Oscar have a bell on his collar? My Mom always put bells on our cats.

When our current cats were very young, we tried a collar on each of them. Oscar scratched and fussed so much that I gave up.
    Our first cat, Leica had a collar and bell, but she learned to hold her head and shoulder in such a way that the bell did not ding at all. The only thing it did was to let me know where she was while she was chasing other cats!

Usually, Oscar is quite the lazy boy and curls up on my bed all day long. Those birds have him all stirred up tho!

I have to share a true story about a cardinal and my daughter. She came home one day from work and found a poor cardinal smashed into her truck grill. Her brother who has a weird sense of humor drew her a cartoon type set of pictures showing in the first panel a cardinal trying to think of how to die by stabbing himself. In the second panel he thought of hanging himself. In the last panel he is rapidly flying right towards a little black pickup truck.

To this day one of us is always trying to find something with cardinals on it for Cindy!!!

I didn’t say it was a happy story but it is a true one!

Oh, Momma Mary, that is a great story!
    I can just see an older brother trying to bother a younger sister.

Looking forward to those photos. It is so difficult to keep cats away from any kind of birds. That is why even though the parrots could give a cat a run for its money, we hesitate to own one.

Good luck with your Guard Duty tasks.