Yes, I’m here

Long day, this.  I was an hour and a half in the dentist chair for the first part of getting a crown on that back tooth.

Two page research paper due for Activities for Young Children class.  The pros of using food products as Art.  Seven phrases in Google before I found enough materials to use as credible sources.  Other folks had to report on the cons.  Apparently, their side was easier to debate.

Math class.  Don’t get me started.  Fractions, and being able to teach fifth graders correctly.  I made another member of my study group do the oral presentation because my jaw is so sore and tired.

The first of the month looms.  Husband is sitting at the table and paying bills.  The air is turning blue with profanity.

This entry was posted in Thinking. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Yes, I’m here

Ouch….an hour and a half in the dentist’s chair. That is an hour and fifteen minutes longer than I could stand. I get antzy very soon and just can’t wait to get out.

With the emphasis on weight and obesity problems in elementary, it seems the con would be easiest to defend, but I use to love using food in lessons. I think kids remember them and are enthusiastic about learning in that way.

Food ingredients was one of their big selling points for against. What if the child is allergic? Sugar was mentioned a few times. And one student got going about storing/displaying art with food on it and seeing a bug crawl across. Shivers.

Food is easy to use with students. And they do like making something pretty with what they use all the time. Shrug.
    One of those ideas whose time ebbs and wanes.

3. Nina says:

“The air is turning blue with profanity.”
    This caused me to laugh . . . I like the way you explained it. I hadn’t thought of air turning blue, but I know what you mean.

Speaking of colors ~ Everyone (men too!) can support the fight against heart disease in women by wearing red on February 3, 2006— National Wear Red Day.

4. Army of Mom says:

I hate it when the kids bring home art made with food because I can’t really save it. You know? The macaroni noodles fall of the pages, food gets icky after a while, etc, etc. and I save almost everything they make. Yes, I know, I have BOXES of artworks shoved in closets all over the house so when the children move me into a home years from now, they’ll all shake their heads at what a sentimental old gal I was/am.

And, I feel for you on the dentistry. I had a lot of work done in September and it cured me from ever going to the dentist again!

5. Sharkey says:

Ouch on the dentist and ouch on the bill paying. And don’t even get me started on fractions and fifth graders . . . . 🙂

P.S. I had some trouble posting this comment after doing the preview. The error said that I had to enter the word I see below, but after previewing there was no word to enter (nor a place to enter it).

6. Tee says:

Loved those last 2 lines. LOL. I will be doing the same tomorrow (pay day).

7. Laura says:

I know how your husband feels with the bill paying issue!! Your description of the air turning blue with profanity had me laughing out loud. Now that’s a good one!

I remember one art project for the kids where the parents were asked to send in those little round milk container caps to use for a counting project.
    Several of the parents didn’t bother to wash the caps off, and by the time we were ready to use them, they were crawling with assorted bugs. yech!

Good luck with your math class! hang in there Diane 🙂

8. Laura says:

opps, and by the way, sorry about the dentist visit. I had a crown put in last fall, and it was the longest 24 hours of my life. (ok, it felt like 24 hours.. it may have only been an hour, fifteen…)

On the air turning blue:
    Sometimes when I pay bills the air gets so blue that I feel the urge to pull out my suit and go for a swim!