Hello, I’m Here again

Hello, Kiddies!  I’m Home!
I had a great time at the camp, with friends (my sides ache from all the laughing and walking—sometimes both at the same time) and much good food that I neither had to cook myself nor clean up (other than carrying a tray of dishes to the window of the dish room).  I finished the current baby afghan, and made two potholders.  One of the latter was given to the camp hostess.  It’s become a running joke between us that I always make something to give to her, usually crocheted while on the premises.

There was a pontoon boat ride, but the pictures on the chip inside the camera are a promised treat to be enjoyed after I get all my homework done.

We got back in town Sunday around 5:30pm, so I had time to clear out my belongings and start a load of laundry before going to see Mad Hot Ballroom at the historic theatre downtown.
The lady in the seat beside me had guests visiting from out of town.  They were mighty impressed with sitting again in a place with a balcony, how happy and clean the place is, seeing this recommended movie on the big screen.

While walking on the way home, I stopped at a low wall to prop up my foot and tie my shoe.  A guy stopped right beside me to tie his shoe.  I’m so gullible, naive really.  As I stood up, I realized the guy was Husband, and he had come to meet me outside the theatre but I did not spot him.  He caught up with me at the wall.  He said I would be such an easy mark for a mugger.
I suppose it does happen, but in a college town there’s usually someone out and about.  Why, over at the next building, there were several skateboarders within yelling distance.  All that testosterone would come to the rescue for someone the age of their mothers.  Well, anyway, I talked so much during the rest of the walk home, telling him all about the weekend, the lives of my friends, how good the movie was.  Details coming later.  Right now, I am supposed to be catching up assignments for classes.

The Music Appreciation Instructor let us know on Friday that class would not meet today, Monday, first—because he has a meeting, and second—to give us a bit of time to work on the research paper assignment.  Josquin des Prez and “El Grillo”.  The syllabus says a Listening Quiz happens Friday.
There’s also the Rough Draft/Rebuttal for Composition, and viewing two online videos for Ed Psyche.  I’m crossing my fingers that Math would carry over, since class was cancelled unexpectedly last Thursday.
I’m worried most about Composition, but this is just the Rough Draft, and Instructor is said to be an easy grader.  Chris had her class a couple semesters ago.

Golly, I really gotta go.  I promised myself this wouldn’t take long and I should be in the shower by now cuz I must get to the library where there is real work to be done.
ps Did I mention that my mother-in-law arrives from Seattle on Tuesday evening?  The house is a mess, but she’s real polite about not mentioning anything negative about our housekeeping skills.  She’s glad to see us people, never mind the clutter.

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Hello, I’m Here again

Your post is plum full of joy and appreciation of life. I am simply uplifted from reading it. So glad your week-end was so wonderful and relaxing. I hope the rejuvenation will hold you through the stress of classes and homework.

and a welcome to your Mother-in-law. She sounds like a blessing and she is so lucky to have a daughter-in-law who appreciates her.

As Mother-in-laws should be! Hope you get to enjoy her visit but with all the homework it is going to take some reall effort –but you are well up to it. The retreat sounds interesting. I have never been on one!

sounds like good times by all. enjoy your visit with your mother-in-law.

4. Laura says:

Welcome Home! Can’t help but feel rejuvenated after a weekend like that one! Good luck with your composition paper, I guess it’s back to the real world now, but I’m sure you’ll do real well on it. And your mother in law sounds like a gem! 🙂

5. Anne Jenkins says:

Glad you had a good time. My Mother-in-Law is a super person. She’s more fun to visit with than my own Mom. Ssshhh, don’t tell my mom that… she’ll never understand. I love her lots… I just feel more comfortable around my mother-in-law. My mom can’t do anything to change that… she didn’t do anything wrong or any such nonsense. I think we are on good terms… At least, I consider us on good terms. It’s just me, my over developed sense of guilt and a long history that can not be changed. What was… was… and moving on is what I’m doing, but it made me who I am today, for better or worse (or both). :zip:

Here it is, Tuesday evening, and I got home from my Composition class a bit early.
    I am a Queen of the “woe is me” clan. I buffaloed my way through the requirements like a pro actress. Who else could pull off that I did not have one single page of 5 pages typed and done, yet still got an 8 of 10 on the score?
    I did have my original source, plus 3 others, and the cover sheet. This was only the Advisory Draft session, the Final paper is not due until next Tuesday’s class.
    Almost makes up for the 7 of 15 grade on the surprise Math quiz. Yee-Ouchie!

7. cindy says:

You reminded me of my mugger story. When I was going to school at WMU I worked a lot so I would have to be at the library late at night to get any work done. One night on the way home I heard footsteps behind me so I sped up a bit. The person behind me sped up too. I knew I couldn’t out run whoever it was so I decided that if they were after me I’d use my umbrella to defend myself. That exact minute he touched me on the shoulder and I whirled around and smacked a classmate in the nose with my hand and in the privates with the umbrella. When he could finally talk he said, “I didn’t want you walking home alone, because you could get hurt.” I felt horrible.

Cindy, my screen now has suntea spattered all over it. I’m laughing so hard and loud that the cat jumped off her shelf.
    Thanks for a great comment.

Well Cindy jogged my memory so here goes a similar story. When I was a teen-ager and was taking the train by myself to visit my brother, my mother drilled and drilled into me the safety factor about strangers…particularly the winos that I would encounter in the two block walk from the bus to the train station. As I walked away from the bus, I had the feeling someone was behind me. Then I heard this voice calling, “Miss, oh Miss. Remembering my mother’s advice I started walking faster. The person who had called out began walking faster. I was close to a run when I heard this heavy breathing and a sudden stop in footprints. Gathering up my nerve, I looked back. There was a poor old man trying to get his breath and waving the scarf that I had dropped when I got off the bus. He had chased me for a block and a half to give it to me and all the time I thought he was a masher.

I’m saying now that the better time to read comments is after a night’s sleep.
    With Cindy, I got tea in my nose, and completely missed the “I felt horrible” as the last sentence.
    I guess the story about the ‘mugger’ being a classmate that she knew caught my attention so much and I didn’t make it to the end in the proper frame of mind. Sorry if I seemed callous.

And Maria is what? 3 hours behind Illinois time? A comment that came later.
    That poor old man. Wonder if he took up a gym membership after that. We have a friend in his 80s who routinely wins marathons at the Senior Olympics. Not sure if he has ever had to return a scarf, though.

11. angela says:

Hey Diane,
    Just thought I’d say hello. Sorry I haven’t posted very often; my life is chaos now. Hope you’re well…

12. Doris says:

Awwwww. Glad you had such a great and fun time.

You and the Mr DoF sound like a lovely couple and I’m glad he came to meet you on the way home…. you sound like a couple of kids 🙂