Sunday Supper

When I was going out the door, keys in hand, I happened to ask Husband what I should buy for supper.
He answered Salmon.  My spine stiffened as well as it was able and I responded that it could be pricey, plus, I don’t know how to cook it.  I grew up in a house with 5 kids and Grandma, a mother who didn’t get home until the 6 o’clock bus, and a dad who put too much of his paycheck on booze.  We ourselves raised three sons when he had a minimum wage job and no medical insurance.  I know about cooking pots of spaghetti, casseroles, one chicken makes three meals for five people.

Husband nodded because he has heard all this before, so as I ran out of breath and oomph, he said that one of his co-workers talks often about how they have salmon at her house, and it can’t be that hard to cook if we found a recipe, and we really should try new things.  Besides, he earns enough these days, it’s the weekend, and I should check the seafood aisle.

Then Chris chimed in.  He just had salmon the other night at dinner with his girlfriend and her parents, and No, salmon is not that hard to cook.  It would be better than trying to eat out.
We could pull out the Foreman grill and be just fine.
I am out-numbered, and here it is for a Good thing.

The place in town where I can get yarn in Christmas colors, which is on the supply list for my Community Ed class, and also seafood, is WALMART.

There it was salmon, steak form, I think.  Farm-raised, about $4 a pound.  Big hunk, nice color.

So I looked up the recipe book that came with the Foreman grill.  Thai salmon steaks.
I followed it exactly except for the fresh parsley.  I soaked some dried parsley in water for several minutes, then added it to the sauce.

Beside it was some (Near East brand) garlic and onion couscous.  Some steamed broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix.

I stirred the sauce.  Chris cleared the table, Husband timed and tested the salmon.  All of us in the kitchen at the same time and doing good things.
Supper is so much nicer these days than when I was growing up.  It’s times like this that I am glad my church congregation doesn’t do a routine service on Sunday evenings.

We sat down to some fine Eats.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sunday Supper

I don’t even like seafood and i would have to say that it looks like good eatin.

It’s hard to feed a family, and you get tired eating the same things all the time. Sometimes it’s good to splurge and have something different.

2. lawbrat says:

What a lovely way to turn bad thoughts, memories into a cozy, loving family dinner. The new memories are so precious to cherish and never forget. I’m so glad you had a beautiful Sunday.

By the way… my word is ‘family’. Somewhat ironic.

3. Cindy says:

Kudos for trying something new. I’ve yet to try salmon myself – it IS intimidating! I’ve had requests to make it too so maybe now I’ll comply. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for your visit to my site and for your nice comments.

I hope you have a great day!

4. Aldine says:

We often have salmon and it isn’t too hard to prepare. Sometimes I use George Foreman grill.
    Salmon is very good for a person.

It is good to try something different.

5. angela says:

I love salmon!! I put some salt, pepper and dill on it and bake it at 425, and squeeze some lemon juice on it when it’s done. Oprah says you’re supposed to eat fish 3 times a week, but that’s a bit much for me. Hope you’re doing well!
    Angela

6. kristine says:

I can’t eat fish. It makes me ALL sick!

Bob loves salmon and I like you, grew up on the more economical kinds of meals. In fact, I thought casseroles were something new and exotic until I found out casserole was just another word for hot dish….which we all called them in Minnesota.

Here is my favorite salmon recipe and it is so easy to fix, I just had to send it your way.

EASY SALMON
    Quick, easy and tangy baked salmon fillets. Serve with rice pilaf and a green salad for an elegant supper! Prep Time: approx.15 minutes. Cook Time: approx. 30 Minutes. Makes 6 servings.

6 (4 ounce filets salmon)
    2 tablespoons of lemon juice
    1 pkg dry Italian-style salad
    dressing mix
    1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup water

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter one 9×13 inch baking dish.
    2. In a cup, combine salad dressing mix, water, and lemon juice.
    3. Arrange salmon fillets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Pour the water mixture over the top and place the sliced mushrooms over the salmon.
    4. Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, basting
    with cooking liquids.

8. cindy says:

That did look good. But you said the magic word and that word is cook so I’m out. I would rather chew off my foot then cook most of the time.

9. Margaret says:

My girlfriend, Jayne, a fine gourmet cook taught me to mix melted butter,
    soy sauce, garlic powder and a little lemon juice together and use it to
    baste the salmon under the broiler. Put it on a foil lined shallow pan,
    skin side down, anoint it liberally with the mixture and cook for 10
    minutes per inch of thickness. Don’t try to turn it over and watch it
    carefully. Test after about 6 minutes by digging into the thickest part
    with a fork to see if the middle is cooked. Don’t overcook it or it will
    be dry and tough.

Enjoy ! Mom

10. Tee says:

We try to eat salmon like once a week here. It’s really tasty and easy to prepare. (And WalMart sells bags of salmon steaks cheap in the seafood freezer area.

I defrost them in warm water (if I’m not using fresh salmon), rinse them. Place them on a large piece of foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover them with fresh dill – and stick some under them. Squeese some fresh lemon juice on – throw the lemon rinds in there, then cover with another piece of foil. Curl up the edges to make a closed packet. Put on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 until cooked through.

It’s so good – and no clean up – just ball up the foil and put in the trash. I serve with soy beans/edamame sprinkled with salt (another good for you food).

11. Dang Cold.. says:

Hey hey,

Salmon is a tasty dish. Good that you took a stab at it and I”m glad it turned out okay. Fun to cook something you’ve never attempted, especially if someone’s there helping out.

dc